Sociology was such a cool course to take because everybody has their own personal connections to apply to the lessons. In August, I was enrolled in Sociology, but today, I am enrolled in SociALLIEgy!
Sociology class taught me to branch out and be socially deviant. At the beginning of the semester, I had little exposure to the variety of service opportunities. Had I not taken this course, I would not have taken advantage of these different opportunities. I restricted myself to nursing homes, and it never crossed my mind to tutor kids in the city or volunteer in a homeless shelter.Today, I would define myself as more of an open-minded person than I was back in August. I do not set expectations on opportunities before I actually go and volunteer because I now know it is wrong to draw conclusions before I know all of the facts.
By exposing myself to positive deviance, I have been changed forever because I am more comfortable breaking away from social norms and using more integrity. By serving, adults will have more respect for teenagers because they will see how willing the high school students are to give back to their communities.
No comments:
Post a Comment